Community health centres offer a range of community health services to local residents, with a focus on health promotion and disease prevention and management. Fees are charged for services according to the client's ability to pay.
Community health services aim to improve the health and wellbeing of local residents by:
- Encouraging people to actively participate in their own health care
- Working together with other primary health care providers such as general practitioners (GPs) to provide coordinated care
- Liaising with other health agencies and service providers to fill service gaps
- Encouraging individuals and community groups to actively participate in the centre’s activities, including service planning, fundraising and volunteer work
- Promoting prevention of lifestyle-related diseases and conditions
- Developing health care programs and activities to improve social and physical environments in the community.